Discovery of

the Precious

Welcome to Dürnstein Abbey!

In 2019, a new chapter in the diverse history of Dürnstein Abbey starts. We, the Augustinian Canons of Herzogenburg Abbey, are the owners of Dürnstein Abbey. Together with the federal state of Lower Austria, we are creating a new exhibition concept that will offer a new and different approach to the landmark of the Wachau valley.

Dürnstein Abbey is a baroque treasure wherein Provost Hieronymus Übelbacher (1710-1740) brilliantly managed to translate the spirit and faith of the time into the language of architecture.

With the new exhibition we invite you to immerse yourself in the spiritual scheme woven into this building and to contemplate “the good – the beautiful – the true”.

Redevelopment:

the project

Guided Tours

Daily at 2 p.m. (in German only)

From July to September also at 11 a.m.

Guided English tours upon prior request!

Opening Hours

May 1st to Nov 3rd
Mon to Sat 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Sun and Hols 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.

Every Saturday from July to September until 8 p.m.

A concise history

The history of Dürnstein Abbey starts in 1372 when Elsbeth of Kuenring had a chapel built in her castle. It was dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin Mary. In 1410 she invited the Augustinian Canons from Wittingau in Bohemia to take over the pastoral care and thus started Dürnstein Abbey. During the following century the church, the cloister and the monastic building were constructed and enlarged.

300 years after its foundation Hieronymus Übelbacher was elected Provost. He was the mastermind behind the baroque transformation of Dürnstein Abbey.

The abbey church, which is also the parish church since 1745, is consecrated to the Assumption of Virgin Mary (celebrated on August, 15th). The bell tower of the abbey church, which dates back to 1733, is the most remarkable building of the complex and, due to its blue-white colour, became the landmark of the Wachau valley.

Emperor Joseph II dissolved many abbeys including Dürnstein Abbey. On the January 7th, 1788 it was incorporated into the Abbey of the Augustinian-Canons of Herzogenburg, to which it still belongs today.

Would you like to stay in contact with Dürnstein Abbey?

Subscribe to our newsletter and get information on custom exhibitions, concerts, services and special guided tours and much more directly via email.

Newsletter-Subscription